Added: 16 May 2013
Contract Fats are available now through until April 2014.
Call now for details on 01638 717866
You certainly can’t rely on the weather…
But you CAN rely on SilaSure
Added: 13 May 2013
Grass silage is the main forage in many TMR rations. Boost your milk yields by feeding the best forage you can – USE SilaSure.
SilaSure is a grass silage additive based on Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB). SilaSure’s formulation has 4 strains of LAB: the strain of bacteria Lactobacillus paracasei is able to use the Fructan sugars (grass storage sugar which are unavailable to most inoculants by producing an Enzyme, which increases the amount of sugar available to power the fermentation by typically 100%.
Don’t pay more for treating your silage when you can buy a really first class additive with a proven track record at a fantastic price.
SilaSure is available in the following formats:
- Standard Liquid (Sachet)
- SilaSure ULV Liquid (Bottle)
NEXT DAY DELIVERY
FROM ONLY 79 PENCE PER TONNE TREATED!
SilaSure is suitable for use in ORGANIC Systems.
Also available from our SilaSure range of products: SilaSure Granular, SilaSure Crimp, SilaSure Maize, SilaSure Wholecrop and SilaShield.
SILASURE – A GREAT SILAGE INOCULANT AT A GREAT PRICE
Meet the three Moooosketeers
Added: 17 April 2013
HAND CRAFTED EXCLUSIVELY FOR DAIRY DIRECT BY MA BAKER
MANUEL, EMILY & JESS
Just ring us and obtain a quote for any of our products and you’ll be entered into the Prize Draw
with the chance of becoming the proud owner of one of the trio.
Not sure if we supply what you need?
Either ring us, or check out the A – Z Products page of our website.
As we all know, you have to be in it to win it, so pick up the phone and give us a call before 20th May 2013,
using the key phrase QUOTE ME JOLLY.
Grass Staggers In Cattle & Sheep
Added: 20 February 2013
What is Grass Staggers?
- Grass Staggers is a metabolic disorder of cattle and sheep.
- The correct medical term for this condition is 'Hypomagnesaemia' and it can also be referred to as Grass Tetany, Lactation Tetany, Milk Tetany or Calf Tetany.
- This disorder occurs when there are low levels of Blood Magnesium.
- Staggers results from an inadequate absorption of Magnesium from the digestive system.
- It is a difficult disorder for the animals to control since there is very little Magnesium reserves in the animals skeletal structure, and thus, a daily intake is required.
- It commonly occurs in Lactating Cows when they have just been turned out to grass in the Spring.
- It can also occur in Autumn when there is a late flush of grass growth.
- The disorder can be chronic in Beef Cattle that have been fed a poor quality Winter feed, and in 'outwintered' animals.
- The condition typically occurs on a cold/wet day when the cattle do not consume as much grass as normal.
- This disease can occur in both adult Cattle and Calves of Beef and Dairy Breeds.
- Loss of appetite.
- Twitching muscles, particularly in the face and the eyes.
- Grinding of teeth.
- Staggering gait.
- Violent convulsions.
Reduction in milk yield may occur in Milking Cows before an attack.
Often the attack comes on so rapidly that the animal shows no symptoms.
Causes Of Staggers
- Underfeeding and restricted food intake.
- Low Magnesium content in the diet.
- Low absorption efficiency.
Other Contributing Factors
- Excessive rates of Nitrogen and Potassium fertiliser applied to grass.
- The rumen pH.
- The stress caused to the animals by sudden adverse weather conditions such as heavy and persistent rain.
Control Of Staggers
- Essential to have a regular supply of Magnesium in the diet.
- Availability of free access high Magnesium minerals (Magnesium Oxide).
- Preferably mix minerals into any supplementary feed such as in-parlour concentrate feed given to Dairy Cows.
- Supplementary feeds such as low quality silage, hay or sugar beet pulp which are high in fibre are useful in slowing down the rate of passage of digesta through the intestine, and thus, increases the length of time for absorption of Magnesium to occur.
- In the event of an attack of grass staggers the vet will administer Magnesium to cure the condition.
At DAIRY DIRECT we have a variety of supplements to help prevent Grass Staggers
These products are designed to increase the Magnesium intake of animals at grass.
HI MAG VITAMIN & MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS.
We can supply our Standard In-feed or Free Access High Magnesium Mineral – DD Hi Mag TMR. If you find that this specification does not meet your requirements then we can produce for you a customised Hi-Mag Mineral. Customised Minerals are priced on exactly the same basis as our standard products i.e. you pay according to the ingredients included. There is no surcharge for 'Specials'.
HI MAG MINERAL BUCKETS.
A highly Molassed palatable Mineral Bucket specifically formulated to provide essential Magnesium, trace elements and vitamins throughout the grazing period. We can supply in a variety of sizes. If feeding 20kg buckets, allow 1 block per 20 head of cattle, daily intakes of 150g/head/day can be expected.
CALCINED MAGNESITE (Magnesium oxide)
This can be added to your ration in addition to your normal Mineral Supplement. At Spring grass, Dairy Cows need approx 30g of Magnesium per day. You can continue to feed your Dairy Mineral at this time and make up the Magnesium shortfall by adding Cal Mag to your daily ration. Cal Mag contains 52% Magnesium.
MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE FLAKES
These can be added to the ration, or added to the Cows drinking water. Containing 12% Magnesium.
REMEMBER – Prevention is better than cure.
Added: 04 February 2013
With the evenings getting lighter by the day, and Spring is on it's way. You may like to give some thought to Spring Feeding.
At DAIRY DIRECT we have a variety of blocks (Rumevite), buckets, lump rock salt and free access minerals, as well as magnesium supplements to help prevent staggers. Don't forget we also cater for sheep, goats, beef and even the odd water buffalo!
Please do give us a call to discuss our ranges on 01638 717866.
12 Days of Christmas Crazy Promotions… Have we gone crackers?
WEB EXCLUSIVE PROMOTIONS.
See our Special Offer Page for details.
All promotional stock for delivery in January.
T's & C's apply.
Dairy Direct email alerts
We will not bombard you with emails or pass your address to any other company
or Phone: 01638 717866
Fax: 01638 717152
Text: 07501 729461
Bury St. Edmunds
Reg no. 4773816
Accreditations & Awards
Click the relevant icon above for a printable version of Dairy Direct's Quality Assurance certificates.
Post us your Mineral Spec
Send us your mineral specification, which can be found on the bag label, and we will offer you a like-for-like quote.
We supply all herd sizes and our customer base covers the entire U.K.
It’s not just for cows you know - we cater for Dairy, Beef, Sheep and Goats.